From:
Maureen Cusack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:14:13 -0700
Help for non-expert records coordinators might be:

·        ARMA alphabetic filing rules

·        Other filing standards

·        Your company’s writing style guidelines, templates, branding/logo
guidelines

·        Your company’s RM policy and procedures including the retention
schedule, Legal Hold process, current Legal Holds

·        Scanning project guidelines, including quality control measures

·        Storage vendor user manual (written by you)

·        media storage (environmental) requirements, incl. media refresh
schedules

These international standards might help; the last three are useful for RFP
design for software purchases and they can guide software implementation
(system and human processes)

·         ISO 15489

·         Federal Standards for incorporating RM into IT systems and systems
planning: NARA RM Profile
<http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/pdf/brewer-bridg0806.pdf>

·         Generally Accepted Recordkeeping Principles
(GARP)<http://www.arma.org/garp>

·         Department of Defense Directive 5015.2
(pdf)<http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/recmgt/standards.html>(requirements of
RM systems to meet operational, legislative and legal
needs, 2007)

·         UK National Archives Functional Requirements for Electronic
Records Management Systems (ERMS)
2002<http://collections.europarchive.org/tna/20080108102455/http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/electronicrecords/function.htm>

·         MoReq2: Model Requirements for RM systems
<http://www.cornwell.co.uk/moreq2/MoReq2_body_v1_0.pdf>(2008)

If the audience also excludes IT and attorneys then my instinct is to
exclude Sedona Principles and/or Guidelines, ediscovery laws (FRCP, state
equivalents), retention laws and case laws (lists, compilations) because
they're a bit too involved. I find that records center inspection/checklists
for environmental controls are also too involved. I'd exclude company 'data
maps' and links to company indexes and shared drives since that can be too
much access or TMI. I'd also leave out metadata standards and legal and
other citation standards since those are too SME-specific.

 --
Maureen Cusack
San Francisco, CA