From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 19:16:30 -0700
I have been up to my eyeballs working with a consultant conducting
data gathering interviews for our enterprise-wide retention schedule
-- a totally from scratch endeavor. I have found that many of our
functions/offices are scanning paper documents, and in some cases
destroying the paper -- not a bad thing in and of itself. However,
when asked if they have written scanning procedures and QC, they, to a
one, have said that no such thing exists. When asked what type of QC
they do, I just get a blank stare.

We have never had the authenticity of any scanned documents called
into question in court, so our attorneys aren't too alarmed by the
lack of procedures. However, in my mind, that is a huge red-flag, so I
am planning on issuing a scanning policy. It will be either a stand-
alone policy or included in the overall records management policy. The
consultant suggested that I not create an actual procedure, but
instead just say scanning procedures must be documented and publish
minimum scanning standards (DPI, etc). I am concerned that, since
virtually all users seemed totally clueless about the need for such a
procedure, that they wouldn't know where to begin. So I am
contemplating a policy that states that, in order to be able to
destroy the originals after scanning, a documented procedure must be
in place which covers document preparation steps, scanning steps, QC
steps and percentage of documents selected for QC and how that
selection is made (i.e. every 20th document, first and last 20
documents, or whatever). Should their procedures state how long they
keep the originals after scanning -- I'd expect to see around 90 days
to 6 months. I'm thinking that each unit may have different internal
issues that may affect how long is prudent to keep originals before
destroying. Or should that be a blanket timeframe in the retention
schedule?

Of course, once that is done, I'll have to work with compliance to add
that to some audit cycle, but I'm thinking it should be a pretty
simple watch them scan a batch and see if what they are doing matches
what they say they are doing. I am thinking the standards themselves
will be separate since technology will change faster than the need to
change general procedures.

I often have to check myself to make sure I don't get too detailed. If
the attorneys aren't concerned, should I be? Do I not give people
enough credit to be able to figure out how to document their procedure
on their own? Or, on the other hand, do I not go far enough?

So, is my porridge too hot, too cold, or juuuust right?

Nolene Sherman
Orange County, CA

Tracking where records are kept is what Tiggers and Records Managers
do best!