From:
sasha babin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:30:02 -0700
Hi Stephen,

 I recall that about one year ago Larry replied on the information about new disk that will last at least  1 million year.
Larry said that finally we have something that could last 5 years or one million years, what comes first.
Also, now it is not April 1, but sometimes ago somebody posted information about the chemical processes that destroyed the basis of the disc itself, and I agree that it is possible.
Another thing to consider: how long could last the equipment to read that gold disk?

Again, I think that it is necessary to check all that media on regular basis  every 2 or 3 years, and, probably, to transfer it to new disks or external drives.
I recall that somebody posted very interesting information about the program that allows to check the "condition" of the disk that indicates what information is missing or unreadable.

Regards,

Alex Babin