From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 21:43:29 -0700
> My question to group is threefold:
> Which portable media do you think are reliable and durable enough to last
> up to 15 years? (From my research, gold disks and portable hard drives
> seem the best options?)

My first question about this would be WHY would they want to keep ALL
content from separating employees 15 years, when likely the required
retention period/s for the material would be much shorter?

My response, if they have a legitimate reason to retain it that long is no
removable media, even stored under ideal conditions, will meet this need.
The content will need to be inspected periodically and migrated at least
once during 15 years.

> What ESI formats are best (native format vs. PDF/A?)

Sigh.... it depends.  What are the native formats, why is it being retained,
how will it be indexed/stored/searched, how much content per employee, how
many employees, etc, etc....

> If the records are part of a legal hold, shouldn't the transfer process be
> a built in part of the legal hold and the  associate departure process?

Depends on when the hold was issued, which is part of the problem with
arbitrary retention post departure.  If the hold was issued prior to
departure, then yes, it should occur as part of the initial hold process.
If after, different situation... again, see prior answer... how was it
indexed/stored and how will you search it?

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA