From:
"Mattson, Donald J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2009 16:56:48 -0500
I was going to remain silent on this as I no longer have to deal with outside records vendors. However, it may be important to mention this as the subject is here. On my previous position, it became necessary to verify the boxes being repacked against our system to see if the boxes were ever retrieved, how often etc. It became apparent that on occasion we were getting billed for repacking boxes that should not have needed it. It also appeared many of them were from the same facility.

I concur that you should have them identify the boxes being repacked as well as provide images of said boxes. If they are sent out in a central location, you may consider investing in your own digital camera and capture boxes on the way out and being returned.

I would also recommend you get together with the rep and make it clear that if an off size box (2.4 cu) is to be handled, it would be best to be brought back to be repackaged by you. This is because the vendor tends to use two primary sizes, 1.2 cu and 3.6 cu. It would be cheaper in long run for you to make it into two 1.2 cu instead of having them put it into a 3.6 cu. Not to mention they tend not to use filler to compensate for the size change which can cause a bit of a mess if the records start moving around.

You may have to include specific special instructions with any renewal of contract.

Don Mattson
Houston, TX