From:
Maureen Cusack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:39:52 -0700
Well this is not an IT project since IT do not manage records. To support an
ERMS acquisition there are no 'extra' skills required of an IT person: the
IT person needs to be capable of doing what all IT people should always be
able to do, namely

1) *identify, (and help the records manager document) all current ESI in the
organization*: where it is, how it is stored throughout its lifecycle
including migration routines, and what the ESI is (not its intellectual
content since that is the business owner's responsibility, but where the
data comes from eg. what application). This is called 'data mapping' and is
a requirement of new (and old) Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (ediscovery
rules).  If the IT department is mismanaged and doesn't identify IT support
roles, then you'll never be able to scope the project (eg. what should be
captured into the ERMS to begin with).

2) *implement a piece of software like an ERMS:*  assess hardware needs,
test the software, install it company-wide, troubleshoot, log issues,
problems, changes etc.  The IT person would need to have, and
follow directions from, the ERMS project team who determines the policies
(or 'business rules') that in turn drive ERMS programming/defaults/custom
coding.

The records manager needs to steer this ship, not IT. A starting point to
explain to IT what is needed of IT could be the UK government's
functional requirements for an ERMS (although that document is not an 'IT'
document).

 Maureen Cusack
San Francisco

--