From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:43:05 -0500
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:11:29 -0800, bobd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Come on Chris ... think about it ... a legal mandate to require every entity
> in the world to meet the RM ISO standard.  Then you have to establish a
> government entity to monitor/audit compliance.  However, since it would be a
> world wide requirement, perhaps the United Nations could be expanded as the
> oversight group for auditing purposes.  Peter ... help me....

oh no! you're on your own with this one Bob.

Seriously though I agree with Bob. mandating that all entities must
comply with the ISO RIM standards reeks of bureaucracy. What needs to
be done is to look at how the ISO 9000 standards came to be accepted
by groups. here groups decided that it would make good business sense
to be ISO9k certiifed.

Now if you really want to get entities to become more RM compliant,
then legislation needs to be passed and regulations written that
require the entities to do X.

SarbOx is a perfect example. Everyone under the sun (and a few found
in Idaho caves) think they know what SarbOx says. But they don't. I'v
read just about every piece that has come out, vendors say SOX says
this, lawyers say Sox says this, CPAs say Sox say this. The RM just
sits back and does the work.

Now pass a law that says organizations must have a records management
system to support SarbOx ...

Peterk