From:
"Annunziello, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 08:48:48 -0400
In my previous organization, we did away with event triggers as they
were not working as we were seldom notified of the "trigger" to start
the retention clock.

As we did this, we assigned retention time periods for what would be the
longest time for any record in each series.  For instance, if we had to
keep a record for the life of the employee, we assumed that they would
start no sooner than the age of 18 and probably would not live beyond
the age of 90.  This gave a retention value of 72 years.  It did mean
that we kept some records longer than if we were T+, but it did work.