From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2013 11:23:41 -0500
Good morning,

When I was in college at Baylor University in the mid 1980s, for a class in
my minor field of study, Manufacturing Productivity, there were a lot of
"new" concepts related to EOQ, Just-In-Time, Deming philosophy, etc.  One
resource our professor required was a book titled, "The Goal: A Process of
Ongoing Improvement," by Eliyaho "Eli" Goldratt.  Some of you may be
familiar with it.  Much of what stuck with me about all those topics came
from this book because it was essentially a fictional story, but weaved into
the story and characters was the concepts behind EOQ, Just-In-Time and
Deming and the contrast and value of these concepts with the approach of
Cost Accounting.  Reading it as a story with characters, a fictional
company, etc. was a value add to putting the concepts together with a
fictional real life situation.

What I'm wondering is if anything like this exists for the concepts of
Records Management.  I know there are case studies and CRM Part 6 questions,
but I didn't know if anyone has ever made a good attempt to write a book of
pure fiction which tells the story of the value of records management at a
fictional company.   If written well I think it could both introduce the
unwashed to the concepts of Records Management and at the same time
demonstrate realistic and common enough situations that the value of Records
Management is accentuated organically in the story.  The key is weaving it
into a good story.

I'm interested because sometimes this might be one of the best ways to
introduce newcomers to the whole field of study and might be a good
introduction to the field for company leaders, or at least those who might
enjoy a good story.

If anyone knows of this type book or would be curious to collaborate on it,
let me know.

Tom Wilson, CRM

Arlington, TX