From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2015 08:24:01 -0400
Well according to some of the IG evangelists that have posted on this
and other forums the IGer must have expertise in all of the
disciplines, not just a few.  That is a tall order for someone in
today's dynamic environment.  Is this individual a ringleader or
conductor?  Does he or she own the process or just a facilitator?
I've seen different answers depending on who posts. Call me dense (I
am part German) but I am somewhat confused the role an IGer plays in
all of this.

What really irks me is this concept that IG will solve all of the
problems of the world.  In the case of Sony, for example, the problem
was a breakdown of their information security program, plain and
simple.  Whether it was an inside or outside job (opinions differ and
I don't think we will ever find out the full story) an individual or
group was able to penetrate their firewall, acquire security
permissions as well as access records and data repositories, An IG
program MAY have mitigated this intrusion but I just don't see  how it
would have prevented the breach.

In the latest example about the former Secretary of State -  by all
accounts the State Department has rules in place that should have
prevented her from having a server at her house.  But she allegedly
directed her staff do it. Apparently only a few were in the loop they
were allegedly told to keep quiet.  If someone were directed by a CEO
or Agency head to do this they might question the rationale but in the
end knowing their job was on the line likely complete the task as
directed.  If the individual considered the task unethical they might
quit - that is a topic for another day.  IMHO an IG program would not
have prevented the event from happening.  This was a personal and
political decision plain and simple.

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Radnor, PA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bblanco

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your
balance you must keep moving." -- Albert Einstein