From:
Chris Caplinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2015 11:12:01 -0400
Jesse,

Thank you for your comments.  I'm the person that authored the post, and I
want to second what Peter wrote, please reply in the blog comments, that way
everyone reading your replies can learn, including myself.  Blog posts are
written quickly and I often write things that are very disputable.

As for the entire backups paragraph being bad, after re-reading it, my
grammar was bad for sure, and might not have been clear, but the problem is
real.  Organizations do have backups that don't get destroyed or changed,
ever.  Is that not permanent?  Maybe we're missing each others point here.

As for knowing when your data will roll off backups, I think it's very
important.  I'm not saying a detailed account of every backup of every file,
but a general knowledge of how long certain types of data will be available
should be known.

Lastly, these were just meant to be 7 tips for those who are going to use
file shares to manage records.  Good, bad or ugly they are popular and we
have to deal with them.  I'd rather work with an EDRMS.

Thanks,
Chris