From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:32:15 -0500
<The NORSAM technology is essentially microfilm in that most uses of it
involve etching images onto the storage substrate. If you have an
electron
microscope, you can read the images like using a microfilm reader.>

(I made this observation a number of years ago when this technology was
discussed on the list.)  I find it ironic that we have come full circle
in access/reading images.  When Benjamin Dancer invented the micro-image
in 1839, he used a microscope to read it.  We now have a high-tech,
super image condensing technology that uses a microscope to read the
images.  8-)

Another note - the reason this technology has not "caught on" in
business is because, like microfilm, the images (and thus the
information) is static.  Once in place, they stay in place.  It is much
more useful to business to be able to sort, resort, search, combine,
re-combine, etc. business information and documents, which is what
electronic format offers.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager