From:
Tim Barnard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:18:31 -0600
Ginny Jones wrote,

"We have found large gaps in our historical and long-term retention operational records where originals were sent to attorneys in the past and never returned to us."

A long-standing practice in our office was to let attorneys check out court files on the "honor system."  I will withhold comment about the wisdom of that policy.  I had worked here before, worked for an attorney for several years, then came back as department supervisor.  One of the things I pushed for was a change in this policy.  Now the attorneys can only check out a file with a court order, and must return it within 2 weeks.  I also recently implemented an "out card" system that helps speed refiling.

Over the years we have lost hundreds of original court files from this "honor system," including one I checked out for another attorney which had our only copy of an important map in it.  The attorney changed firms and couldn't find the file in either office.  We finally got a copy of the map from one of the heirs who by chance came into our office one day.  Another file, checked out in 1932, was found by Mormon microfilmers a few years ago in a county over a hundred miles away!

Tim Barnard, Land Records Clerk
Harrison County, Mississippi
Phone (228) 865-4121 Fax (228) 868-1480