From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2014 15:27:00 +0000
For both this breach and the Target breach, I received a notice from my Credit Union very quickly after each story hit the media.  The message said that any debit/credit cards issued by the credit union that had been used for transactions in each of these stores had been automatically cancelled and new cards had been issued and mailed to card holders. Apparently their system is set up for the bank folks to request reports based on "payee" for card transactions.  If your card showed a transaction at either store, your card was cancelled automatically.  They notified customers whose cards were known to have been used at each merchant.  If a card had not been used for any transactions at one or the other store, the card had not been cancelled.  They had a hot line number to call if one wanted to know if their card had been compromised and replaced.  They answered each call very quickly.  I must commend them for proactive responses to each of these incidents.  Most banks wait until the customer notifies them that their card had been or may have been compromised and requests a new card account.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division