From:
"mckinney, susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 15:41:13 -0500
I've had the chance to watch this discussion and I'm conflicted with this change.  I see both sides of the equation on this one.

The question of whether someone who is a good test-taker, studies the relevant materials and has the minimal experience can pass the test, especially part 6, is what will need to be watched.  Yes, of course I think people could pass the multiple choice 1-5.  But part 6 - I don't know.  I think part 6 - for obvious reasons - has to be based on the "book learning" way of doing things.   So that might be possible.  But I think it would be very difficult.

What has me a little concerned would be whether a new CRM with very little practical experience can do the jobs that prospective employers are posting.  Would they have enough experience to figure out how to make what the books said work for their organization?  We all know that we have to take what we learn and adapt it for the culture of our organization.   Would those new CRM's be able to do that?  If not, then we could have a problem.

I've been on the both sides of making difficult decisions that are not necessarily well received by everyone.  I trust that the ICRM board has used the appropriate indicators in making their decision and that they will monitor the outcomes.   Having worked with many of them in past, I know that this is not a decision they took lightly or quickly, and that they certainly looked at all sides of the issue before making this change.  So, I applaud them for looking ahead at what our profession needs and making the hard choices to get us to where we need to go.  As a proud ICRM member, I may be a bit skeptical, but I absolutely support the board in their decision.

Fondly,

Susan

Susan McKinney, CRM
Director, Records & Information Management
University of Minnesota
100 Church Street SE
502 Morrill Hall
Campus Mail Code 0263D