From:
"Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2015 21:58:53 +0000
Charlene,
I agree with Jenny on the importance. At the very least they should be the last to go. Minutes are usually very brief and to the point. The real issue is you can theorize which type of minutes have been important in the past but you may not know what may be important in the future. If the entities are dissolved, maybe you could consider disposition after a lengthy period of time say 50/75 years after dissolution and that's only because these are small entities.

Then again, in my career I have had to go way back to find things like something from 1889 to the early 1990s. The 1990s don't seem that long ago but in organization memory it's eons ago. A lot of those minutes also clarify rights, obligations, agreements etc. In the not so distant past, many agreements were handshake deals especially among small entities and non-profits. The minutes may be the only thing left that cover certain organization decisions with all other supporting records lost or destroyed over the years if there were even supporting records created at all. Even if the entities are dissolved, successor organizations might have taken their place with certain functions like usage, property rights, and other actions dating back to the previous organization. The important information might not have been transferred completely to the records of the new entity.

To summarize - I would be hesitant to destroy minutes unless they were extremely old. Keeping old records can often do more harm than good, but in my experience legacy minutes usually help you more than hurt you.
Welcome to the listserv!

Rob Seibolt, CRM
Supervisor Records Management
KCMO
http://www.mriglobal.org

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by facsimile, e-mail or phone and delete all copies of the message.