From:
Peter Sloan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2016 20:47:17 +0000
Donna, stick to your guns on this.  I frankly have not heard this type of silliness from U.S. vendors since at least a decade ago, in the midst of their confused frenzy over the 2016 FRCP amendments and the earlier Zubulake decisions (neither of which required blanket preservation of all of an organization’s e-mail).  Sure, as a general rule, once the preservation duty arises, relevant e-mail must be preserved.  That’s why organizations implement a compliant, well-tailored legal hold process that gets the job done, hopefully without overpreservation.  But as Judge Scheindlin observed in Zubulake, 220 F.R.D. 212 (S.D.N.Y. 2003):  “Must a corporation, upon recognizing the threat of litigation, preserve every shred of paper, every e-mail or electronic document, and every backup tape?  The answer is clearly ‘no’.  Such a rule would cripple large corporations like UBS, that are almost always involved in litigation.”  Id. at 217.

As for “ediscovery risk,” this strategy of perpetual email preservation ignores the countervailing ediscovery risk – the volume exposure of retaining information beyond any legal requirement or business need, which may later become subject to a future preservation duty in subsequent, currently unanticipated litigation.

My two cents (not legal advice in this forum).

Peter Sloan
Information Governance Group, LLC
o  816.366.8300
m 816.591.7810