From:
Don Lueders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 13:16:11 -0400
No, in fact, they would be in very big trouble.  The law is quite clear here.  An organization can not destroy any records that may prove relevant to a lawsuit regardless of their retention schedule.  This applies to lawsuits currently filed, as well as lawsuits that MAY be filed in the future.

In Mosaid Technologies v. Samsung Electronics the court held that “the defendant should be sanctioned even though it followed routine business practices because it had ‘willfully blinded’ itself to its duty to preserve relevant information.”

I suggest familiarizing yourself with these two recent landmark cases:  Rambus, Inc. v. Infineon Tech. AG, 220 F.R.D. 264 and Zubulake v. UBS Warburg LLC, 2004 WL 1620866.

Don