From:
Blake Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:11:37 -0700
Good afternoon; I have been loosely following this thread.  I remember
early in the thread there was a reference to a "peer" journal and most
recently references that focus on academic credentials.

I think we need to take a breath and step back for a moment and assess
as colleagues what trials and tribulations we still continue to face as
RIM professionals. Wikis, blogs, twitter, clouds and the next vendor
think tank phrase that pops up all make for some glamorous conversation,
but are these truly pressing matters for most records managers and their
respective organizations?

I am not burying my head in the sand on the above issues.  I understand
that they must be addressed, but the effort to address them must be
prioritized.  I firmly believe that even as 2010 approaches, many
records managers who are members of this Listserv, ARMA and the ICRM are
still battling fundamental records management problems and challenges -
and if forced to prioritize their reading and research time will choose
to determine how they can address items of importance to their RIM
program.

I can substantiate this through recent discussions with local ARMA
Chapter members who have voiced their desire to spend monthly sessions
discussing the creation and implementation of retention schedules,
policies, senior management support and discovery v. cloud computing,
and social network sites.

My hats off to the organizations that have endeavored; those that are
looking in the rear-view mirror at the foundational issues of RIM.
However, I believe this constitutes the minority of records managers and
organizations.

With this said, as colleagues I implore us not to travel to quickly down
the next new technological road when some existing roads are not yet
paved and some of our peers are stuck.

Blake E. Richardson, CRM
Corporate Records Manager
Safeway Inc

"Email Firewall" made the following annotations.

Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the recipient.  This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately.