From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:40:18 -0700
The way a couple of other organizations handle this is to make the
CD/website/flash drive available for purchase, either before/during the
conference or at some specified period afterwards. For something like the
ARMA CD (mostly PPT, couple proceedings papers), it could be sold for maybe
up to $99; if the sessions were recorded, I'd think a couple hundred dollars
not out of bounds.

Alternatively, the Institute for Management Consultants holds a "Confab"
every year. The presentations are available to IMC members pretty
immediately (not a member so cannot 100% confirm this - Alan Andolsen, can
you respond as well?), but after a period of time they are freely available;
you can go to the IMC website today and download the presentations from
2004.

I'd argue for a combination of the approaches:
1. Full attendees have access to everything throughout.
2. Day-only attendees (does ARMA even offer this?) have access to the
sessions from that day (the most complicated)
3. Non-attendees can purchase access to the materials, however that might be
offered, even before the conference AND those who do and subsequently elect
to attend have the cost applied (kinda complicated but workable - how many
would do this??)
4. Non-attendees get access to the materials at, say, conference +1 or +2,
that is, at Baltimore next year ARMA would make available for free the
presentations from 2005 or 2006, at their option.

If anyone at ARMA is following this thread, I have some offline ideas about
this I'd be happy to discuss with the appropriate folks....

Cheers,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms
IMERGE Consulting
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
YIM: jessewilkins8511
SL: Jesse8511 Market
Looking for the latest education on electronic records, email, and imaging?
Visit http://www.imergeconsult.com/schedule2.html for a current schedule of
courses.