From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:22:47 -0600
No! because the technology isn't there yet - and it isn't there yet because
*we* isn't there yet. I always use the following example when I talk about
this particular point. If I send an email to someone, and they respond, and
we do that twice more each, we have a total of 6 messages. For each I can
make the following predictions with 90+% accuracy:
1. The topic will be different
2. The subject line will be the same (perhaps with FW: RE: FW: RE: a couple
times)
3. The final message in the thread will contain the first message in the
thread and everything in between

Given that, how likely is it for an automated classification tool to be able
to make sense of it? Not yet says I. Soon, but not yet.

In the interim, what I have seen happen with some success is to abandon or
at least modify the traditional master classification approach of thousands
of "buckets" in favor of fewer, broader buckets combined with a full-text
index. So you can find stuff in the buckets, you can search, you can do
both. How many buckets is enough? That depends, but a client I worked with
recently has gotten rid of more than 800 buckets. That means that some
things that used to be kept according to statute for e.g. TY+75 months are
now kept for TY+7. Blah. The gross liability impact is de minimus, while the
time saved in not declaring very similar records into two buckets where one
will do is significant when carried out over hundreds of buckets. Don't
reduce too far here - I am not saying "One bucket to rule them all, one
bucket to find them...". Just that sometimes simpler can be better.

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, edp, LIT, ICP, ermm, ecmm
J Wilkins & Associates
blog: http://informata.blogspot.com