From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:50:05 -0700
I don't have time to respond to most of this, both because of work
requirements and because I am fighting bronchitis. I will note however that
every day I see at LEAST a dozen new policymakers, agencies, and staffers at
all levels of the government and in the US and elsewhere coming to Facebook,
LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. They are Twittering. They are blogging. They are
wikiing.
Larry is of course correct that today, for US Federal government and at many
other levels, there are certain rules in place. Larry may be INCORRECT in
his paragraph (which appeared truncated in my email) about financial
services using these types of tools. Maybe the disclaimer was truncated -
but almost every commodity trader on the planet is using these types of
tools, and NASD has issued specific guidance on the need to maintain
appropriate records regardless of the form of the transaction.

And to the note about the burger-flippers coming into industry: First,
that's a cheap shot the level of which I won't bother to sink to. Second, my
understanding is that the Gen X, me, are a much smaller gen than the Boomers
but the millenials are almost as large as the Boomers. See e.g.
http://www.businessweek.com/1999/99_07/b3616001.htm.<http://www.businessweek.com/1999/99_07/b3616001.htm>
And
for an organisation that dips its toe into the E2.0 pot, who has more
experience with the tools? a. Boomers. b. GenX c. GenY/millenials.

My 21-yo brother is at the bottom end of the labor force, of course, but his
organisation is looking for guidance on whether to use these tools and how.
His should not be the only position considered, but he's been on MySpace
since the beginning (that would be 2003) and using IM, text, and chat in
various forms since he was 9. That's 12 years of practical experience
knowing what the tools can do and can't - which is more than the ICRM
requires for a non-degree-holder to sit for the CRM exam. Not apples to
apples, clearly, but the examples are within shouting distance of one
another.

My previous points remain germane - privacy expectations are significantly
different depending on the type of organisation, its jurisdiction, and its
regulatory environment. I will be blogging heavily on this topic starting
next week at http://informata.blogspot.com. You can also follow me on
Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins.

Cheers,

jesse