From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:18:54 -0700
*NOT* a RM in the federal sector. However, I'd still like to take a stab at this, notably because I just did a presentation on this topic for ARMA Dallas last week (http://is.gd/dvK0p4). Much of my guidance was based on that available from NARA (http://is.gd/GduaCK) as well as some other sources, including a number from the Government 2.0 communities out there like Govloop, several case studies of which I am aware including the US Dept. of the Navy, and the excellent report Dr. Pat Franks wrote for the IBM Center for the Business of Government (http://is.gd/XdYk7P).

In the second half of the presentation I outline these general strategies:
- Address social technologies in applicable policies
- Determine whether a given piece of social content is a record
- Determine exactly what is the record - a single Tweet, a thread of them, etc.
- Determine whether the content is simply being republished from another source, thereby decreasing or eliminating the need to retain it separately

And these specific options for capturing records content:
- Take a screenshot of the content in its context on e.g. Facebook or Twitter, much as some organizations still do today for their websites
- Save the entire stream into a local repository - my example is to use Twinbox to save Tweets to Outlook
- Save selected items locally using search queries or RSS
- Save content locally using the tools' built-in capabilities, e.g. Facebook Backup
- Save content locally using a third party service like Backupify
- Save content locally using built-in APIs like Facebook Connect or Twitter OAuth
- Draft content locally using e.g. Word and then publish it, retaining the local copy as the record
- Implement enterprise technologies that provide similar capabilities and a local repository
- Implement a "compliance" solution that can capture content at the firewall and store it locally, much the way organizations do with email and IM

Hope this is of assistance - I hope to make a more formal publication on this topic available sometime later this year.

Best,

Jesse Wilkins, CRM
Director, Systems of Engagement
AIIM International