From:
Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:17:04 +1000
On the heels of the discussion about this subject, I thought I would
contribute something to the discussion as we have been working through the
processes of developing Sharepoint 2010 to manage records in the local
government organisation where I work here in Australia. It is early days yet
for us, but a really fundamental point has been working hand in hand with IT
who recognise the need to ensure recordkeeping issues are covered in
Sharepoint.

The model we are following, broadly speaking, is to focus on the management
of content types.  This includes the IM/RM area having organisational
control over the creation of all content types and their publication to a
content hub, which then makes them accessible in sites as required.  Content
types will be 'custom-fitted' to a site, depending on the things that people
want to do in them.

Our content types include:

- a range of recordkeeping metadata, including terms from the recordkeeping
business classification scheme, and/or enterprise metadata contained in the
managed metadata service (MMS), and/or user definable metadata (folksonomy)
tagging which we will monitor for inclusion in the enterprise metadata,
- information management policy rules including a period of retention until
they become inactive after which they are either disposed of on the site or
moved to the Records Centre for eventual disposal, via content organiser
rules

A key point for us that is *all* content on a site is subject to retention
rules of some sort or another, so we avoid as much as possible having
content on sites that is not associated with any disposition rules.

Libraries in the Records Centre will be the eventual home for most records
needing longer-term retention.

Another key issue is leveraging the metadata that comes with documents (in
particular) via (a) the Document Information Panel in Office 2010 documents
and its relationship with (b) metadata columns in Sharepoint sites,
including through predefined fields (populated or otherwise) in content
types.  I have also been looking at the xml structure of Office 2010
dcuments to see how we might be able to leverage that as well for
recordkeeping purposes.

We are not looking at Sharepoint 2010 to manage physical records, just yet.
We have another system to do that and could potentially, 'expose' that
through a webpart.

Andrew Warland
Sydney, Australia
My views entirely