From:
Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:41:09 +1000
Hi Michele
That is an interesting question. As our records retention policies consider
everything a record we are not (at this stage anyway) attempting to
differentiate between a document and a record.  Some records are clearly of
less value than others, but all are covered by retention policy of one sort
or another, including for ephemeral 'non records'.
As I said in my earlier email, it is still early days in our implementation,
but we are working on the basis that there will be different Content Types
available in different Sites and Libraries.  This could mean we have a
Content Type that is a 'non record' (but still subject to a disposal rule)
and one that is a record (or records, depending on the need).  Each of these
Content Types would have its own retention rules defined in the Information
Management policies, so content in Libraries will normally be managed
according to Content Types, not Libraries and Folders.  There are some
exceptions to this general rule.
In other words, we would not ask users to declare something as a record.
Everything is assumed to be a record.
Regards
Andrew Warland
Sydney, Australia