From:
Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 12:02:24 +1000
Hi Angie

Thank you for your reply.  Can I clarify, by 'Departmental web sites', do
you mean Team Sites that you call 'Workgroup' sites?  (And by Workgroup, I
assume you mean an area of the business, a business unit or group).

I think what you call 'transitory record' may be what I would call a
'working (or draft) record'.  However, it appears you have a model where (a)
documents declared as records are moved to the Records Center, and (b)
documents that are not declared are considered transitory records that are
managed on the site through to disposal.  Where do you apply Information
Management policies? To Content Types, or to Folders and Libraries?  (I
assume Folders and Libraries).

In our model (in a Government agency), everything is a record but some
records have longer retention requirements than others.  Therefore, we are
applying IM policies to customised Content Types that are made available on
sites.  Each Content Type has a pre-defined 'inactive' period (mostly 5 - 7
years), after which it would be transferred to the Records Center for
review, and then either disposal or ongoing retention in the Records Center
File Plan/BCS.

It is interesting that not all Content Types are customisable in the same
way that document-based Content Types are customisable.  A Wiki Page Content
Type, for example, appears to have a one-to-one relationship with a Wiki
Library - out of the box it does not seem possible to create a customised
Wiki Page just for a Wiki Library.  Picture Libraries also work
differently.

Regards

Andrew Warland
Sydney, Australia