From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:09:58 -0700
Full disclosure: I work for AIIM, helped edit the referenced work, and
cowrote the subsequent AIIM Social Business Roadmap. I also speak quite
frequently on the topic of social media governance to ARMA chapters and
others - in fact this week I spoke on the topic with ARMA Detroit, ARMA
Northern CO, and ARMA Cincinnati and will be speaking again at MER 2012 this
year on this topic.

I am on deadline for another social media governance thing so I will keep my
remarks very brief but am happy to address any questions online and will
follow the discussion with interest.

- YES, you categorically need to manage social content just as with any
other type of content. Social content has been addressed by FINRA for
financial services firms, by NARA for federal government, by many state and
local government entities, etc. It's about the content, not about the
format. And if you think your organization isn't already doing it, go to
Facebook or Twitter and search for your organization. You may be surprised
at the number of accounts out there; you shouldn't be surprised at the
number of conversations going on about your organization out there.

- BUT social is different from traditional content in a number of key
aspects that make it difficult to simply capture into a repository and
declare as a record, including:
	- Its tendency to be under the physical and to some extent legal
control of third parties (viz. Facebook)
	- Their tendency to write Terms of Service that meet their
requirements to the detriment or exclusion of privacy, records management,
compliance, and other concerns
	- Content tends to be both richer (audio, video, dynamic content)
and more granular - is a Facebook "Like" a record? In what context and how
do you capture that context?
	- Extensive use of cntent co-creation (e.g. comments on blogs, wiki
edits) and aggregation (activity streams like Facebook wall content)
	- The increased blurring of personal and professional - and the
prohibition in most commercial social media services' Terms of Service from
creating multiple accounts to separate them
	- Tendency towards both authoring and consumption from mobile
devices, especially employEE-owned (rather than employER-owned) devices

I know there are folks in this community and the broader community of
information professionals that have had to deal with these issues - the
challenge so far is that most case studies focus either on user acceptance
or on business cases and benefits. There are some resources available on how
to manage social as part of a governance program but they are few and far
between and frankly some of them still view information management through a
document-centric paradigm rather than addressing the issues I noted above.

At the risk of sounding like a troll, the social media governance course I
am writing addresses some of these issues; you may also wish to review
presentations from ARMA and MER the last couple of years from end user
organizations on how they are addressing these topics.

Hope this helps - looking forward to hearing the perspectives of others on
the list.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins, CIP, CRM
Director, Research and Development