From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2012 10:08:43 -0700
Good article - I especially like the reminder that we've been here before
with regards to email. Some of you have probably attended sessions from me
and others making that point - and that we missed the opportunity early on
with email because "it wasn't used for business", "it's too informal", "only
Gen Xers(!) use it", "it's transitory and not a record", etc. etc. etc.

I don't care about whether my retention of Facebook posts theoretically
violates FB's (and others') Terms of Service - they aren't going to sue me
for that (and win). I care deeply about what FB's retention is today
(permanent) and tomorrow (14 days anyone?). I care about how difficult it is
to get at FB content - and I suspect that some of the tools mentioned would
similarly fall afoul of those Terms where they prohibit anyone from
accessing anyone else's account, with or without permission and whether
mechanically or programmatically. And frankly I care about making sure RMs
are part of the discussion - and that they are prepared to be part of it.

The other challenge is that social media governance is NOT the next frontier
- it's here already.  FINRA and NARA have both been providing guidance to
that effect for at least 2 years and case law specific to social media
production and authentication dates back to at least 2007. So if you don't
have a good answer to the question, "How would we produce the CEO's Tweets
dating back to 2009 regarding our partner XYZ", it's only a matter of time.

At the risk of trolling, I am just about done writing a new 2-day
Practitioner Course from AIIM on Social Media Governance. It addresses the
entire governance framework both generally and for specific tools like
Twitter etc. Some of the courses are already live on AIIM's website. If
anyone is interested in more info please contact me offlist. Full
disclosure: I am HQ staff for AIIM.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins, CIP, CRM
Director, Research and Development