From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:20:05 -0600
Full disclosure: I work for AIIM and we have just finalized a 2-day course on social media that includes the following topics among its 25+ modules:
- How to produce content from social media for legal or regulatory requests
- How to declare social content as records (generally)
- How to capture content from Facebook (Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) as records
- Social business content and public records law
- Social media policies
- Developing a social media policy for Facebook (Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)

The first thing is that screenshots are not a good approach for a number of reasons:
- They are laborious and time-consuming to produce
- They are quite difficult to manage given the volume and fragmentary nature of most social media tools
- They require substantial work to authenticate in the case of legal issues. What case law there is regarding social media has focused extensively on these issues - see e.g. State v. Bell (2008), Dockery v. Dockery (2009), Griffin v. State of MD (2011)
- They are terrible when it comes time to retrieve them

For Facebook the Facebook Download My Info works for individual accounts but my understanding is that it is not available for Facebook Pages - that is, organizational pages or groups. And Twitter has nothing remotely similar.

So the realistic approaches are probably:
- Have your IT staff write a widget that connects to the Facebook API and does what you need it to do in terms of extracting and downloading relevant content

- Use a third-party service that can do that, for example Backupify or Hanzo Archives (NB: not a recommendation, just the first ones that came to mind)

- Use a third-party archiving or compliance application, for example SocialWare or Smarsh

- Use a content repository connector. Can't list any off the top of my head but I believe some of the ECM vendors have started to develop connectors for at least the major ones - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

The key considerations are getting the stuff local and then sifting through it because even as a government entity you may not need to keep all of it (I don't know how AK's public records law reads). The other consideration is that while Facebook, Twitter, etc. are currently retaining everything for forever (thereby making retention and disposition somewhat irrelevant) they could change that at any time and it's my guess that a judge isn't gonna want to hear "But Facebook deleted it!"

One last point - there are literally hundreds of social media policies publicly available through the web, many of them specific to government and more so to municipal, or state, or whatever. And while I don't see any  guidance from the Alaska State Archives on this topic, I know the Washington State Archives among others has addressed it directly (though not the *how* that you asked).

I'll be speaking on this issue at the upcoming MER conference - once through my Social Media Governance Practitioner precon and again in a breakout session. I have also spoken on this topic with a number of ARMA chapters and many of those presentations are on my Slideshare site at http://www.slideshare.net/jessewilkins.

Hope this helps - feel free to ping me offline if I can provide any additional information.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins, CIP, CRM, ERMM, SMGP
Director, Research and Development
AIIM International