From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:57:08 +0000
I rarely comment on these types of postings but this one touched a nerve.

The author of the article above makes the argument that finding something in an archives cannot be a discovery because you would expect the item to be there.  When I use the author's logic, it would seem that finding gold in Alaska or natural gas in the Gulf is a foregone conclusion.  After all, everybody knows it is there.

In this case, the researcher found a document that no one knew existed in a collection that appears to have had extensive reviews in the past.  If true, I would call that a discovery. So does Webster.

If not, what are we supposed to think of those souls who are unsuccessful in finding gold, or natural gas, or the document, during previous examinations of the collection?

Bill Roach, CRM

Thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and not those of my employer or any other entity.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.