From:
Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:18:52 +1100
Sasha
I had a very similar situation the other day and wrote about it on my blog
here:
http://andrewwarland.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/understanding-and-managing-access-permissions-in-sharepoint-2010/

Essentially, everything in a Site Collection 'inherits' the access
permissions of the 'parent'. To apply different permissions you need to
break (dis-inherit) those permissions and then apply the ones you want. I
don't recommend apply special permissions to documents, it could be a
nightmare down the track, focus on library or, perhaps, document set
permissions.
There is a bit of a catch with dis-inheriting - you need to remove all the
permissions that remain (not your own!), and any special new group you add
will appear across the Site Collection, so you may need to break
inheritance in other sites.
Plan it carefully, and test!
Regards

Andrew Warland
Information Architect, Uniting Care NSW.ACT
Sydney, Australia
(My views entirely)