From:
Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 08:45:32 +1100
Gordy

We register physical objects (boxes/files) and also other items (such as
decommissioned databases) in SharePoint lists. Out of the box SharePoint
doesn't allow barcode scanning, as far as I know. One of our lists is in a
site collection that is primarily used for digital records (in separate
libraries).

Happy to answer more questions.

Andrew Warland
Information Architect, Uniting Care NSW.ACT
Sydney, Australia
(My views entirely)