From:
Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:28:05 +1000
I work for a (major business unit - aged and childrens care) of the Uniting
Church here in Australia. I developed extensive records retention schedules
for all our business records which are, in many respects, not much
different from any other business. We have around 150 separate pieces of
Federal and State legislation we have to abide by, making it a complex
organisation. Parts of the broader organisation have some very old records,
some of which we are now scanning to have a back up in case of disaster, as
well as to provide a much more convenient form of access.

I haven't yet got to the specific church/parish/congregation records yet
but note that records of births, deaths and marriages are managed by the
State Government. What would be left would be meetings of the
church/parish/congregation and they generally seem to have been kept for a
long time. When my mother died, for example, the minister was able to say
that the records showed that, when she was married in the same church 60
years earlier, the minister at the time noted that the family had been
connected with (and was involved in building) the church 100 years earlier
- in the late 1840s.

Andrew Warland
Information Architect, Document and Records Management
UnitingCare NSW.ACT
Sydney
Australia
(My views entirely)