From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:07:37 +0000
>> No record retention period actually starts until the record becomes inactive.<<

I believe the above statement is only partially true.  I believe it applies when it is used to describe event driven retention (Active + x years).  In this case, the records are deemed active until a triggering event which begins tolling of the retention timeframe.  The inactive records are then maintained for the designated retention period.

I do not believe it applies when it is used to describe materials that have a scheduled disposal timeframe (Current Year + x years).  In this case, I consider the records active until the date of disposal.  The retention period subscribed is the period in which the records are needed by the organization for business, legal or other purpose.  Once the need for the records has ceased, the retention timeframe has expired and they can be disposed.

John M is absolutely correct that converting from ACT+ to a fixed period will result in significant over-retention.  In addition to incurring unnecessary expenses for over-retaining records it also can create enormous risk.  Many organizations do not carefully compare the risk/reward of retention decisions.

I do not share Peter's distaste for ACT+ timeframes.  My experience is that managing a collection of related records with a single ACT+ timeframe is much easier than trying to manage the retention of each individual item in the collection independently.  This is especially true if the trigger can be automated or if data from an existing business system can be used to initiate disposal.

In my experience, ACT+ retention timeframes significantly increase consistency of retention practices and also simplify the user experience.

Bill Roach, CRM

Opinions are my own and not those of my employer or any other entity.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.