From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2013 18:45:03 +0000
>> Now,  a Refinement: Let's skip the direct cost reasons and focus on the Risk.<<

Real life example:
 - Year: 1986
 - Industry: Petrochemical
 - Issue:  Mixed technical (retention required) and administrative materials (eligible for disposal) on 16mm roll film (500 rolls.
 - Proposed action:  Hire temp to preserve technical materials so administrative materials could be destroyed.
 - Cost to correct: Estimated at $6000
 - Management response:
	- Denied by Plant Manager (What' the worst that could happen?).  Suggested I take it up the flag pole when I explained the risk.
	- Denied by GC and COO (There is nothing in the files to be concerned about.)

Followed by...
 - Year: 1995
 - Issue:  Contract litigation regarding the default on contracts to purchase plant output as part of the loan guarantees for plant construction.
 - Process:  Discovery includes review and analysis of records maintained on the 16mm roll film.
 - Results:
	- Plantiffs forced defendants to settle.
	- Existing purchase contracts are enforced.
	- Defendants pay additional $380,000,000+ in current and future damages.
	- Administrative files maintained on the 16mm roll film completely destroyed the credibility of opponent's primary witness, the plant manager who originally denied requested funding.

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer on the risk...

Bill Roach, CRM

Opinions and experiences are my own and not those of my employer or any other person or entity.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.