From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2013 14:57:32 +0000
>> We bit the bullet a few years ago, sent all our aperture cards to a scanning bureau, and replaced them with images now in our EDMS.<<

If you are scanning aperture cards or engineering drawings, you may want to consider storing the original image and the reference copy in different places and formats.  I would suggest the original file image in a high resolution tif.  For reference purposes, I would suggest converting a copy of the original file to a DjVu format (www.lizardtech.com).

In some of the extreme examples we were able to convert the original  500 GB TIF file to a 3.5 GB DjVu file with virtually no loss of fidelity.  The technology works for other documents also.  In another example, we were able to provide access to an 1800 page HHS bill  that was smaller than the original posting of only the two signature pages (color PDF).

Please note that the DjVu format is open source and is used extensively by archives, museums, and in geo-spatial applications.

Bill Roach, CRM

Opinions expressed are my own and not those of my employer or any other entity or individual.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.