From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 13:15:50 -0700
<snip>Every one of the Social Network systems has proven to be a true
security risk. If I had an employee who joined one of these networks, I
would terminate them.</snip>

Given that more than 50% of the entire US population is on Facebook, I
think it is likely that at least one of your employees has taken the
plunge. Whether they choose to share that given your stated opinion is
unlikely...meaning you've now driven them away from good governance and
into hiding what they are doing. That doesn't seem to be the right way
forward either. And as the demographics continue to evolve, I'd expect that
for any organization of any size the majority of its employees will have
social media accounts in some flavor or another...and will not choose to
work for employers with such draconian policies.

McKinsey did a study a few years ago that showed that organizations that
are doing social media correctly (meaning according to set corp strategy
and keeping governance in mind) are market leaders or gaining market share
and are more profitable than those that eschew social media.

I can state with some confidence that the systems you listed (LI, FB, etc.)
are orders of magnitude more secure than your in-house IT, not because I
know your in-house IT staff, but because I know those vendors employ
white-hat hackers who are incentivized to compromise their systems...and
the bad guys are even more incentivized to do so. If you're not a Fortune
500-ish company, you simply don't have the resources to spend on security
to keep everyone out.

Individuals' accounts can be compromised but it's not because "Facebook was
hacked" - it's because the user used a password like...password. Or their
birthday. Or their daughter's middle name. Or something else that they
shared somehow. (probably on Facebook. :P)

<snip>The only safe social computing is no social computing.</snip>
This is unsustainable in 2013. If I replaced "social computing" with
"internet access" or "email" you'd laugh me off the list - yet people made
precisely those arguments 20 years ago, and the same arguments with regards
to office telephones 75 years ago.

I agree that RMs should be the leaders here - but instead of burying our
heads in the sand - as we did with email, and look how well that worked -
we should be identifying those risks, assessing them, and determining how
to apply good governance principles to social media. At the end of the day
we should be managing content according to its value to the organization,
not according to its format or transmission mechanisms.

Right?

I do agree that it is rude to reach out to people with whom I have limited
connection and so I generally try not to and not let the services spam my
contact list. But I agree with William and Alex's positions - if you limit
your staff to those that are not current on current technology that seems
like a dead end for them and for you in the long haul.

--
Very respectfully submitted,

Jesse "my social is my own, not my employer's" Wilkins, CIP, CRM, IGP
Author, AIIM Social Media Governance Training Progam
Author, AIIM Social Business Roadmap
Author, AIIM Electronic Records Management Training Program
Author, AIIM Automating Records Management Training Programs
blog: http://informata.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jessewilkins
Facebook: no huh-uh :)