From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2013 12:48:26 -0700
I am at a conference about to speak on social media governance in Edmonton,
Alberta so I don't have time to give this a long thoughtful response
(though I may try to blog about it this week) but my quick thoughts in no
order:
- Name clause is an issue as is ownership
- Compensation I am less concerned about - my guess is most of the people
responding to that survey are exempt or considered such. Bigger issue is
ownership one
- In some cases it is not really possible to separate personal from work.
Think: agency head, senior manager, board of directors, etc. Anything
sufficiently separable will be weak tea indeed
- Failure to internalize that social is first & foremost social. Yes, lots
of my tweets are AIIM-related, but lots of em aren't. Authenticity drives
engagement; a Twitter account that is all-AIIM, all-the-time will actively
turn people off, even those of us who are in that community.
- Probably some privacy issues in there too - again, need to think about
this.

Bottom line: I don't think it's a good idea to require or even strongly
recommend for non-work-owned account. There are significant downsides. I
get wanting to leverage strong networks, but mandated work stuff will tend
to water down and weaken those networks hence defeating the purpose.

Hopefully a more thoughtful post with links etc. later this week.

--
Regards,

Jesse Wilkins, CIP, CRM, IGP
Director, Research & Development