From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:44:19 -0600
Larry, that's why I mentioned that in specific reference to Brian's point.
Of course those could be records. Lots of them might be my musical
collection of the Greatest Hits of the 80s too. So if you have specific
processes that use them, like, say, training development, you'd want them
in a specific place and could reasonably safely dispose of any not located
there. Training, retention schedule, legal, etc.

And of course it's viable to use the file format in determining whether
something is a record - after all, you might have a paper doc, a TIFF
version that was faxed, a PDF version that was emailed (and the email
itself of course)....and the most significant difference between the three
is its format, no? So I could quite defensibly see putting a process in
place that says the paper is the record, the .tif/.pdf aren't. Or some
other but similar approach.

Wouldn't work in every org, but just because it might not work in yours
doesn't mean it wouldn't work for others. For your group that does design
work, they keep all their rich media files. Where audio and video are found
in the receptionist's private network folder, or that of the records
manager, wipe em. :P

Jesse Wilkins
Denver, CO