From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2014 16:25:35 +0000
Strong statements, but I don't believe there are absolutes in this discussion:

>> Any practitioner worth their salt knows that personal archiving should be prohibited in the workplace, as indicated in Nancy Flynn's  "The e-Policy Handbook" (AMACOM, 2009).<<

There are circumstances where use of personal archiving is the most prudent and efficient means of protecting and providing organized access to large volumes of business information.

>> Properly implemented, email archiving software would preserve the integrity of email messages by capturing them in real-time, and by using compression and single instance storage (SIS) so an email sent to 10,000 employees would only be stored once, with 'stubs' or 'pointers' used to indicate and regenerate the entire distribution list, allowing for any of those original email messages to be produced with absolute integrity and authenticity, including preservation of metadata and attachments, throughout the complete chain of custody.<<

Technically, this sounds like a great idea.  The problem is I have yet to see a solution that can be implemented in a manner that does not significantly increase organization and employee risk.  From experience, it can also significantly increase ediscovery and legal expenses.

>> The entire process of archiving, storing, and backing up email records could and should be automated, there is simply no excuse for it.<<

I agree that automating email records (read "records" not "email") is a prudent goal, but there may be a number of reasons it doesn't get done.  Priorities, funding, expertise, and efficiency come to mind.

Please note that I am not defending the IRS, I am simply pointing out that there are not absolutes and recommended solutions need to be considered from a variety

Bill Roach, CRM

Opinions are my own and not those of my employer or any other organization, entity or individual.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.