From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2014 23:32:09 +0000
Gordy wrote:  " The Information Governor is an ambassador or statesperson who can break down walls, silos, hegemonies, and fiefdoms.  And, of course, it requires a profound understanding of RIM and the information lifecycle."

Call me old school if you like.  I have been a Records Manager for a number of years.  I always believed that the only way to do the work efficiently and effectively was to practice what is now being called information governance.  Granted, I have been very successful in what I do and have had opportunities that many have not had.  I work with everyone within the organization and with a number of outside parties to ensure that my employer has a consistent, legally compliant, program for creation, distribution, maintenance, and disposal of records.  I have a very detailed understanding of not only the information lifecycle but also of the legal, compliance, and operational uses of the records of my organization.

I, like several others on this list, tend to believe that Information Governance is not much more than the newest buzz word.  If I recall correctly, it was not to many years ago that Knowledge Management was going to do exactly what Information Governance is touted to do today.   I also recall it was being promoted by many of today's information governance biggest promoters.

I agree with Gordy that successful information governance requires a "profound understanding of RIM."  I will go beyond that and say that without a profound understanding of Records Management, there cannot be information governance.  If ARMA moves away from Records Management as many on this forum have suggested, it does so at its own peril.  Historically, ARMA has been the primary conference providing records management training at all levels.  Today there are a dozen or more Information Governance Conferences.

Finally, please accept my apologies in advance to those of you who trumpet the IG banner.  From what I have seen thus far, it is nothing more than what a real Records Manager is expected to do every day.  IG looks a lot like a new set of duds for the emperor.

Bill

Bill Roach, CRM

Opinions are my own and not those of my employer or any other individual or entity.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.