From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2016 19:06:00 +0000
You make a lot of assumptions...

<< In our large family, we have had several deaths; and in case there was a will.  The process of opening safe deposit boxes and setting up the estate on normal middle class families took weeks to establish.  >>

In Minnesota, if you die without a will and do not have living parent or child, the state appoints a trustee to act as executor of the estate.

<< Yet here, in an estate worth $100 to $300 million they jump in and immediately open a vault, when there are many potential issues that might still arise. This is not just a individual, but a huge business enterprise and the disputes that will arise via tax consequences; and such.>>

You are right, this is a hugh business enterprise, and it stops unless the trustee has access to the records needed to continue operations. Bremer Trust is a branch of Bremer Bank, long time financial partner for Prince.

<< The Internet articles refer to Prince’s vault as mythical but it was a real vault filled with a massive collection. >>  Would a $300 million dollar corporation move this quickly through the process? >>

According to published reports and interviews with Prince, there are multiple vaults at the Paisley Park estate.

<<Would a $300 million dollar corporation move this quickly through the process? >>

Please give me one example of a $300 million corporation that wouldn't want immediate access to their records.  I know of organizations that have had safes cracked and locks drilled because the indivdual with the key was unavailable, not permanently, just temporarily.

<< Bremer Trust might have exposed the estate to a Pandora’s box of litigation by opening the vault’s music collection ( or music box if you will ) to purview by taxing authorities without first determining a method of valuation that the taxing authorities will contractually accept?  >>

Bremer Trust is the trustee for multiple large estates, I suspect they know what they are doing.  The estate is also the site of an ongoing criminal investigation, who would you rather open the vault, the executor or the DEA?

<< Now these records are floating around and security for these documents is critical at this point in time.>>

Floating around where?

<< Too bad Prince did not have a records manager.>>

What leads you to believe that he didn't?

<< At the very least documenting the elements of the collection, establishing a protocol for protecting the records from exposure and theft by other music entities. Who even knows what truly exists in the collection?  I have seen notes scribbled on napkins outlining the elements of a song and it theme become very valuable.  Without a professional in this process, the value could be greatly diminished.>>

That is exactly what the responsiblities of a Special Administrator of the estate is charged with doing.  As noted previously, Bremer Trust provides this type of services to a wide assortment of individual, non-profit, and corporate entities.  They are entirely capable of successfully completing this assignment.

Bill Roach, CRM

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.