From:
"Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2015 18:31:09 +0000
Jesse said- And as Anne said it was nothing compared to what awaited me at home. :P

Rob:
I went to a boarding school for high school and things were very different on discipline.

There were in-school suspensions with the mentally unstable librarian(sorry librarians, the guy was nuts)
There was campusing - you couldn't leave campus even on the weekends for months at a time
and then work details also called chain gangs.

I experienced some version of everything except the in-school suspension with Mr. Brown. All of them usually involved disciplinary probation and some demerit system which everyone ignored. I was lucky my work detail experience was fairly mild and involving moving recycled newspapers for a couple of hours. Other guys were pulling weeds all day on Saturdays with their sworn school enemies or breaking up concrete for some community service project(hence the chain gang name).

There generally was no parental involvement. They usually found out after it was all over from a phone call or letter. In boarding school you faced the music on your own. The funny thing was most parents were usually sympathetic given the harsh punishments metered out for mostly trivial offenses.

My parents attended one of my disciplinary hearings which was rare for parents. They had seen all kinds of teen trauma with my older sister with drinking, drugs, you name it.  They were relieved when I was caught at the mall at the Hickory Farms Store sample counter instead of the local library where I was supposed to be. They had been bracing for something much worse. Not getting the response from them the principal had expected, they were never asked back.

The funny thing was as you went through the various levels of discipline it improved your status in the social strata of the school. I was campused for two months in my senior year and it was like I had been elected into the Hall of Fame. There were no minor offenses in boarding school. Everyone found themselves in trouble at some point.

Rob Seibolt, CRM
Supervisor Records Management
Kansas City, MO

http://www.mriglobal.org

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by facsimile, e-mail or phone and delete all copies of the message.