From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 14:48:57 -0700

I believe that is exactly the case .. most people don't even know the
field of records management exists, so when they think of something that
needs to be organized, they think librarian.

My first records management job was an ad I answered for a company
librarian. They had rooms of files and a bunch of reference material
(which turned out to be just a bunch of old magazines and out-of-date
marketing reprints no one wanted to throw away) which they wanted
organized. Even though my only experience to that time was as a
"librarian" for a corporate law library (all I did was keep the law
books up to date and do some research), I could see immediately that
they needed was a plan to organize their business files. I didn't know
it was called "Records Management" but the internet is a wonderful thing
and I found ARMA. The rest, as they say, is history.

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes