From:
"Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:12:39 +0000
I have appreciated all the comments on and offline. Thanks to all of you, I have much more wiggle room than before. I might go halfway and use Information Management or Larry's intriguing suggestion of Information Asset Management in the job titles since "Governance" is such new-fangled term for folks here in flyover country.

I think from my perspective it's an organization culture issue I am trying to address. At MRIGlobal I think we have done fairly well with Records Management handling the "needles".  In my email presentation to our staff I explained Information Governance as a new effort to manage the haystack as well as the needles. I think we can still have an overarching Information Governance Statement in our Records Control SOPs (goodness knows they are revised often enough) but the job titles and descriptions need something more familiar and tangible to people outside of the field. Thanks for the suggestions and comments!

Rob Seibolt, CRM
Supervisor-Records Management
816-360-5480

http://www.mriglobal.org

David Steward wrote:
I don't know where this opinion will land me but I absolutely love Larry's reply to Rob.  Knowing Rob as long as I have, he is trying to find an effective solution to raise awareness and respect for the job he has been assigned to complete.  This may be the epitome of the chicken/egg thing.  Does Rob push with the "old" titles to demand respect (Damn the torpedoes!) or does he buy in to the terminology du jour to get instant credibility?

What a terrific dialogue!  If we could only get "Records" (and yes, I do mean Records) into the required curriculum for business, management, and professional degrees we would nip this whole thing in the bud.  OK, it has gone on far too long to be "in the bud".  But we could reverse the trend given 20-30 years of having Records in the curriculum.

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by facsimile, e-mail or phone and delete all copies of the message.