From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:27:30 -0800
Our construction and architecture departments keep their active files in
3-ring binders. Once the job is done, they send the binders to me for
storage. I keep them on-site for about a year before sending them to
off-site storage. Once the job is done, the documents will be referenced
rarely, if ever (basically only if something goes wrong with the
building).

I have a couple of issues with keeping them in the binders - 1) I have
open shelf filing that does not accommodate binders, so right off the
bat I have difficulty storing them on-site. 2) These documents are kept
for as long as the buildings exist - which will be a long time - and
binders waste space in standard size boxes or must go into oversized
boxes which will cost extra on an continuing basis.

Right now I am taking the paper out of the binders and putting them into
expanding pocket files. Being a department of one, that seems
inefficient. I could ask the departments to transfer them to files
before sending them to me -- but it ain't gonna happen.

My question: How do you handle files in 3-ring binders? I recall seeing
a binder filing system at one of the ARMA conferences some time back,
which included custom sized boxes for storing the binders. Has anyone
used such a system?

Nolene Sherman
Records Manager - CJ Segerstrom & Sons