From:
Carol Choksy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:59:25 -0500
The problem is that creating and running a journal are very time consuming in addition to being cat-herderly, even if the journal is on-line. In addition, the editor must have the credentials and the stature to pull in great talent and get recognition by academia. There are also editorial assistants who do the grunt-work. The AIEF barely has the funds and personnel to do what it is currently doing. What they have accomplished over the past half-decade has been nothing short of amazing. Remember also, however, that for the journal to be credible to the academy, the contributors must hold academic degrees and be located at an academic institution. Business and medicine overcome this by permitting faculty to consult in addition to teach and write. Teaching a full load now, consulting, and writing with the occasional writing gig--in addition to being the animation coach for my son's robotics team, leaves me just enough time to fall into bed at night to keep my husband awake with my snoring. (Incidentally, he is a professor of Iranian history--very exciting to be married to right now!) I cannot imagine how any normal person could run a journal in addition to that.

I realize this is not "good cheer" in a season of "good cheer" but facing facts has never been our professional weak point! I do believe an answer is out there, but it's an answer "outside the box" of the way we are currently thinking. It is possible to create an aggregation site that points to articles in various journals, but the only reason I, a faculty member at Indiana University, Bloomington can get access to anything from the IEEE is because I also teach at IUPUI and have access to their on-line digital services. I don't see how even an aggregator could help a records manager without access to on-line journals.

Hope your holidays are filled with eggnog dreams and candy cane wishes!
Carol

Carol E.B. Choksy, Ph.D., CRM, PMP
CEO
IRAD Strategic Consulting, Inc.