From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2010 20:43:58 -0400
Despite being a great hope for IT managers to reduce data storage costs, we are seeing a growing concern about the complexities of cloud computing creating major issues for system integration, data integrity, data migration, access and (gasp) record-keeping. This May 15 issue of CIO magazine that I received had several sidebars to a major article entitled " Cloud Computing: What CIOs Need to Know About Integration".

See http://tinyurl.com/33wezt5

After a discussion of the thorny issues for IT managers regarding how to integrate cloud environments with their IT architectures, on the next to the last page (5) it says "Still, some industries may find only marginal use for cloud computing because integration can't be done as transparently as it can on-premise, says Colburn, the Finra CIO. Financial services companies must deal with so many compliance issues that a clear and complete view of their vendors' operations is imperative, he says. For example, like other securities exchanges and associations, Finra must adhere to the strict recordkeeping regulations in the Securities Exchange Act, which require keeping many documents, including e-mail messages, for five years. For the first three years, they must be "easily accessible." If a cloud provider won't specify exactly where Finra's e-mail is at any given time, Colburn says, he can't be sure that it is easily accessible. So for now, Finra's e-mail will stay in the regulator's own data centers, he says."

There is some discussion of the thorniness of standards. But the main theme of this article is that cloud computing is so complex that is even daunting to IT managers, not to mention CFOs and CEOs. It would seem a good area for records managers to keep asking about record-keeping risks. For all of the data/records stored in the cloud-o-sphere.

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions
www.infotechdecisions.com
865-966-9413