From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2010 14:43:37 -0700
Larry, as you know, I have been in government for a very long time, so
let me translate:

I think what is being said is that the government will work
collaboratively with industry to identify and test specific elements of
cloud computing to confirm that those elements provide certain
capabilities, but is hesitant to develop or impose industry standards.
This allows potential government users to know what they are getting
into, and what they are not getting. It accelerates the use of cloud
computing by allowing for its incremental adoption where the to-date
proven capabilities are sufficient to meet a federal agencies needs, and
also provides feedback to industry to develop and evolve this emerging
technology.

In my opinion, this is a prudent course in that the technology is in its
infancy, and if you start imposing legally binding standards at this
early stage of the game, you run the risk of stifling future innovation.

Remember how electronic imaging requirements were locked in by
regulation early on, only to become obsolete and ultimately ignored in
relatively short order? This approach, in my opinion, allows for a more
incremental, innovative, and evolutionary adoption path. Its justified
because the potential cost savings of cloud computing are truly
significant, as are the risks. If I'm reading this correctly, this
allows for a reasonable path between those two needs.

Now back to wonderland......

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Records Management Program
1620 SE 190th Avenue
Gresham, OR 97233
phone: (503)988-3741
fax: (503)988-3754