From:
Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2014 12:19:06 +1100
Hi Jan

I agree with what Mike Alsup says. I work for a large (9,000 staff) Not for
Profit and have no personal stakes or financial interest in Microsoft.

We use SharePoint 2010 completely 'out of the box', without any third party
add-ons, to manage electronic and paper records. The keys to it are first,
'control' - both of new site and sub-site creation, and what users are
allowed to do, and second, providing enough end user flexibility to allow
them to get on with what they need to do - for example, the creation of new
document libraries and lists. Users can also delete items too, but we let
them know it goes into a Recycle Bin which gives them comfort.

All our Site Collections have Document IDs enabled as a feature, which
means that every document created as a unique and hyperlinkable DocID URL -
the DocID is also now often quoted on the front or within documents. We
encourage use of (at least) major versioning on all new document libraries,
allowing users to see and (if necessary) restore previous versions.
Document libraries include check-in and check-out and, where required, out
of the box workflows for approval and review.

We manage our paper records using lists that have version controlled
enabled to allow us to track changes to locations and so on as required. We
have also back-scanned around 10,000 paper files and now manage these in a
dedicated SharePoint site instead making them much more accessible than
before.

Two related features that our users love are (a) access permissions and (b)
audit trails. The former allows for very granular (item level) access
controls, while the latter allows users to know who has been accessing the
site, as well as on individual items so we know who did what and when -
compared with the complete absence of such controls on network drives.

Retention management in SharePoint needs to be thought through differently,
as others have noted. We are approaching this in two ways. First, by
considering entire sites to be subject to a retention policy. This will be
easier with SharePoint 2013 or beyond that include this functionality.
However, many of our team sites are likely to exist for a long time, so the
second method is to target document libraries. Our SharePoint Administrator
has developed a script that allows us to see what libraries exist and when
they were last modified. We will be able to map this to our records
retention schedules. For paper records, retention classes and disposal
dates are added to items.

Finally, a shameless plug for my blog where I write about SharePoint -
http://andrewwarland.wordpress.com/

Best wishes

Andrew Warland
Sydney, Australia